Check out photos were from the Pearl Harbor Day / Coast Guards Home for the Holiday Event 2018 at the Post this past Sunday.
Please join us for the 9-11 ceremony in Avalon at Veteran’s Plaza
Greetings…………………Scott Wahl, Business Administrator
Welcome.………………..Steve Cloetingh, CEO, Military Veteran Partners
Flag Ceremony…………American Legion Post #331
National Anthem………7 Mile Singers
Invocation………………Fr. Mark Cavagnaro, St. Brendan the Navigators Parish
Message…………………Commander Tom McCullough, Post #331
Message…………………Mayor Martin L. Pagliughi
Speaker………………….Matthew Eversmann, 1ST Sgt. US Army
Remembrance….……..Ray Gagnon, Master Gunnery Sgt.,
Reflection US Marine Corps (Retired)
Rifle Salute…………….American Legion #331
Taps………………………American Legion #331
God Bless America…Avalon Elementary School Students
Benediction……………Rev. Dr. David Montanye, First Methodist Church of Avalon
Please be aware of the following:
1. It’s time for the 17th Annual Sons of The American Legion Bar-B-Que and Horseshoe tournament at Veterans Haven on Sunday at 12:00 noon July 29th sponsored by The Detachment of New Jersey. The horses and washers will start at noon. Food at 1:00. Tours will be available. You may wish to bring a lawn chair. Anyone wishing to bring a salad or a personal specialty is more than welcome. Address: Go in the first entrance off White Horse Pike (RT. 30) 301 Spring Garden Rd, Winslow, NJ 08095-0080
2. The annual Sons Post 331 Bar-B-Q is August 25, 2018, 5 to 8. John Tracy is heading up ticket sales and asks for your support in taking as many as you think you can sell. Contact John at 609-231-5177 or email at jtracy.
3. Membership dues for the 2019 calendar year are now being accepted. The cost is $30 and should be sent to Sons of the American Legion, PO Box 331, Stone Harbor, NJ, 08247. Please note that we are trying to sync up to a calendar year basis so some of you may be paying 2 times in one year, once for 2018 and once for 2019. Also, there are still a few stragglers for 2018 dues so please send that payment in too! Cards will not be mailed out until payment is received.
Thanks for your attention the above!
To NJ’s Homeless Veteran Supporters:
This is a reminder of our upcoming networking event on June 27 to provide current and value-added information to help our neediest of veterans and their families. Those of you that have responded, thank you, and I have responded as such.
Attached is a flyer [click here] for our 5th regional Housing Our Heroes Forum that will be conducted on June 27, 2018 in Brooklawn, Camden County in partnership with Catholic Charities of the Camden Diocese and The American Legion. See attached flyer for additional details.
The purpose of this networking event is to assist with improving and encouraging communications between agencies that aid veterans with all related homeless veteran services and benefits. This session will also give attendees the opportunity to provide brief overviews of their programs. Invitees are primarily limited to veteran housing and employment services, and benefits. Veteran Service Organizations’ homeless veteran representatives and elected officials are also encouraged to attend to learn how to identify (Mayors’ Challenge) our homeless and the resources available to assist them. We will have national and regional subject matter experts to provide current strategies, efforts and funding opportunities.
Therefore if you would like to attend please register at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include your cell #, website, services provided, and if you would like to have a table for your resource information. Light morning type refreshments will be served. If you have any questions please contact me.
The S.A.L. would like to send their thanks for all your contributions and the time you spent with our Post Veterans this past weekend.
The Post really looked good, thanks to our landscaping/clean up crew of: Bill Burns, Phillip Welsh, Walt Finken, led by Ned Galbally. A lunch of cheese steaks, chips, & cokes were enjoyed by all.
Thanks to the set-up crew of: Bill Burns, Walt Finken, & Phillip Welsh who set up tables & chairs both inside and outside at the Post!
Thanks also to Richard Tucker for the Saturday morning breakfast gathering with the veterans & 2 cemeteries flag placing.
Thanks to a really sharp Flag Detail consisting of: John Tracy, Richard Tucker, Ed Taylor, & Steve Miller. Although the parade was cancelled in Avalon due to the weather, the flag detail stood for the entire ceremony in the Avalon Community Center, and then marched in the Stone Harbor Ceremony from St Paul’s to the Women’s Civic Club, and then stood again at the American Legion Post 331 Ceremony!
The open house went off with out a hitch thanks to: Craig Costigan & Ned Galbally (beertenders), Bill Burns, & Carter Winterbottom. The community turn out was fantastic as the word got out about the: Springer’s Ice Cream, the gourmet hot-dogs & sauerkraut, chicken noodle soup, ice cold draft beer, and the Philly soft pretzels!
The clean-up crew did a super job getting us all home before 4:00 pm after a long day consisting of: Ned Galbally, Walt Finken, Carter Winterbottom, Bill Burns, & John Tracy.
The whole weekend was truly a success and we should all be proud of the support we provided to our veterans and American Legion Post 331. Thank you very much for supporting us.
A special “shout out” to: Maureen Kizeik who volunteered her time handing out over 300 AL/SAL handbooks at Avalon & Stone Harbor; and Sal Emma & Joe Filachek who volunteered to assist.
Dear Veteran Supporter,
The American Legion Post 331, which serves Stone Harbor and Avalon, would like to Thank You for your continued support for our Veterans.
As we prepare for the 2018 Memorial Day Parades that will be held on Monday, May 28 in both Avalon and Stone Harbor, we have begun working on our annual Handbook that will be distributed along the parade routes. Additionally, the book will be available from Memorial Day to Veterans Day at various locations on the island.
The American Legion Handbook gives local businesses, organizations and individuals the opportunity to place an advertisement, personal tributes and thanks to our county Veterans in recognition of their service. Proceeds of the Handbook will be used to help support county Veterans programs and Post operations. There will be a minimum of 1,400 books printed and distributed through the year.
This year, we will be working with Seven Mile Publishing to create ads and print the books. Their expertise will greatly help, not only to produce the book, but to create more opportunities for color advertising. All ad work and printing will be handled by Joanna Heston who can be reached at email@example.com or contact Jon Ready at firstname.lastname@example.org. On the Donation Sheets below, you will find the different levels of advertising opportunities, as well as an opportunity to be an exclusive sponsor for the free standing insert for the Memorial Day Events.
If you would like to place an advertisement or personal note of thanks to our Veterans in the Handbook, please follow the links below.
Our objective this year is an improved Handbook, which includes more advertising opportunities, improved quality and a removable Memorial Day program. But, our number one goal is to give support to our Veterans.
For those that have continued to support our Veterans through Post 331, we thank you for your support. For those that are participating for the first time, WELCOME!
Our 2018 calendar of events has been posted. Click here to veiw.
- Friday, July 14
- Avalon Community Hall, 3001 Avalon Ave.
- Doors open 6:30 pm; music 7 – 10 pm
- BYO food & beverage, ice will be provided
- Music by Pro DJ Services – taking requests all night for your favorite Golden Oldies
- Just $10 per person to benefit veterans
- Spread the word and bring friends and family, open to all
Memorial Day weekend is around the corner and there is much to do. We could use your help. Please see below information for planning purposes and volunteering (Print copy for reference). If you can make any event or activity, please email me or call me on my cell so I can put together a list of volunteers by 21 May 2017.
- Memorial Day Weekend Events & Post 331 Exterior Clean-up
- Wednesday, May 24
- 3:00 PM POST 331 Exterior Clean-up & Grooming (bring a rake, gloves, clippers)
- Friday, May 26
- 3:00pm Set up tables and Post
- Saturday, May 27
- 8:00am Breakfast at Cape May Court House Diner with Veterans then placing flags at two cemeteries
- Fairview Cemetery located on rt. 9 north of Cape Regional Hospital. Then to Asbury Methodist Church graveyard located on rt. 9 north of Avalon Blvd.
- 8:00am Breakfast at Cape May Court House Diner with Veterans then placing flags at two cemeteries
- Monday, May 29
- 5:30am Leave Post to set up flags at more cemeteries (K. Coyle in charge)
- 8:30 Bus leaves Post for Avalon service
- 8:40 Line up at Avalon Firehouse (31st & Dune) for parade (will need Service Flag Detail) Note: Dress Uniform
- 9:00 Avalon Veterans Plaza Ceremony (21st & Dune)
- 10:00 Bus back to Post
- 11:30 Line up at St. Paul’s Catholic Church for parade (100st & 3rd Ave)
- 12:00 Parade from St Paul’s to Women’s Civic Center on 96th Street for SH Ceremony at Pavilion & Beach
- 1:00 American Legion Ceremony at Post- laying of wreaths and raising of flag
- 1:15 Memorial Day Open House & Refreshments at Post
- 3:00 Clean-up & tear down at AL Post (time could vary-arrive at 2:30)
- Full Uniform for Service Flag Detail consists of: Black or Navy Blue Blazer, dark or light grey trousers, white shirt, plain navy or black tie, black shoes, & service cap. I have a few service caps available if you can put together the rest of the uniform. Also, the Sons may parade in the Sons Navy Blue Polo shirt and baseball cap and then stand behind veterans in formations at Avalon, Stone Harbor, & the Post.
- We could always use help at set up’s & tear down’s, clean-up’s, and for this event 5 Sons for Service Flag Detail.
I hope to see you at any event you can attend this coming week. Please call or email me if you have any questions. Thank you.